***For immediate Press Release: Buckminster Fuller Institute West*** from Play Play Play Inc.
"And it followed that these Great Pirates came into mortal battle with one another to see who was going to control the vast sea routes and eventually the world. Their battles took place out of sight of landed humanity. Most of the losers went to the bottom utterly unbeknownst to historians. Those who stayed on the top of the waters and prospered did so because of their comprehensive capability. That is they were the antithesis of specialists. They had high proficiency in dealing with celestial navigation, the storms, the sea, the men, the ship, economics, biology, geography, history, and science. The wider and more long distanced their anticipatory strategy, the more successful they became."
Operation Manual to spaceship earth 1963
Play Play Play Inc. a band of guerrilla dadaist semioticians, hellbent on Shin'ichi Suzuki love.
We are musicians, artists, writers, independent journalists, vehicle builders, film makers, urban planners, alternative fuel creators, ex lab techs, workers and students who have been brought up in a world in which the techniques and apparatuses of advertising and the spectacle have persistently been presented to us as the most lucrative, effective and desirable means of using our talents. We have been bombarded with publications, images and sounds devoted to this belief, applauding the work of those who have flogged their skill and imagination to sell such things as fast food, cigarettes, detergent, striped toothpaste, tourist T-shirts, slimming diets, fattening diets, fizzy water, violent video games, christian websites, making muzak to sell cars, and making muzak to sell Oprah. We have been manipulated to sell our hobbies in order to survive, and in the process we have handed the credit over to capitalism. We have allowed people to think that certain products are 'cool' or 'clever' when in reality these products are simply exploiting the talents of the creative individuals enslaved to hawk them.
The greatest efforts of those working in the advertising industry are wasted on these trivial purposes which contribute little or nothing to our national prosperity or global consciousness-change. We have reached a saturation point at which the high-pitched scream of consumerism is no more than a suffocating blanket of sheer noise. We think that there are countless other things more worth using our skill and experience on than becoming mindless shills for conspicuous consumption. There are signs for streets and buildings, books and periodicals, catalogues, instructional manuals, industrial photography, educational aids, films, television features, scientific and industrial publications and all the other media through which we promote our trade, our education, our culture and our greater awareness of the world.
We do not advocate the abolition of high pressure consumer advertising: this is not feasible. Nor do we want to take any of the fun out of life. But we are proposing a reversal of priorities in favour of the more useful and more lasting forms of communication. We hope that our society will tire of gimmick merchants, status salesmen and hidden persuaders, and that the prior call on our skills will be for worthwhile purposes. With this in mind we propose to share our experience and opinions and to make them available to colleagues, students and others who may be interested.
We are the cool cute rebellion to your level-headed Buckminster Fuller Institute. We want to engage the underground youth culture in an educational setting, to teach them about the work and principles of Bucky and to ultimately further the World Game, synergetics, and their respective memes.
-A Detournement of Ken Garland's Manifesto 1963
http://www.playplayplay.org * Lazlo Kovaks and Anne de Launay
* Decentralize the Buckminster Fuller Institute, by creating BFI West. To serve as a physical location where people can gather and learn about Bucky. Where they can obtain books, DVDs, dome-building kits, and see films. Among other things, we are planning a philosophical lecture/discussion series. Topics will include Buckminster Fuller, situationist thought, Everything I Know in 54 Hours.
* Run community programs out of the bookstore to teach Buckminster Fuller's ideology and principles to children and community members. Our educational curriculum incorporates holistic learning. Programs include music classes for children (both suzuki and traditional methods) and nature walks with introduction to permaculture for kids at the SF Botanical Gardens. Building a dome green house, modeling geometry, relating to kindergarten through fort /dome building, like building with blocks, assembling tetrahedrons, triangle shapes, learn about tensegrity with toys. Similar to what we already have going on on our roof and collective house in the Excelsior neighborhood of San Francisco, California. We will administer these classes through an organization like Root Division, which already has similar systems set in place. Fuller Admired the Montessori system's "education by choice" wherein children explore subjects they are naturally drawn to and learn at their own pace. Both taught that a child's spontaneously expanding nature should not be tampered with, and that a properly prepared educational environment is essential. the use of specific educational artifacts is central to both educators' methods. they saw that interacting with these sensory objects (geometric models) leads children to develop on their own. In Montessori's words, "the important thing is to give a cosmic idea, one complete whole, the universe, for the child's mind seeks not only facts but their underlying causes, and you cannot properly see the connections until you have first seen the whole." pg 154 of wholeness by Alex Garber
-Teaching the Suzuki method of playing music, building domes and taking nature walks are only the beginning. More teaching curriculum based on age and education level are listed below.
-Junior High Level: Will learn C, and C+ programing language, along with Max / MSP which enables students to create electronic music. These will teach fun and intuitive aspects of computer development. A preparatory internship program will identify areas of interest in renewable energy arenas and administer students' work programs, enabling participants to study, work and learn about renewable energy at companies located throughout the greater Bay Area.
* College Level: Specific to the World Game strategy, we will work with colleges, as a sort of neutral ground, to host a series of teach-ins about World Game strategies and synergetics and how they relate to specific departments and principles (i.e. demographics, immigration rights, etc.) These lectures will compare the principles of the Situationist International to Buckminster Fuller's ideas. After one year of giving these lectures, we will have built relationships with professors, students and the administration. After which, we will host a mini-conference at UC Berkeley, that will serve as the next installment for a World Game simulation, hereby known as "Let's Play a World Game Simulation 2012." This conference will create a dialectic between the professors, students and the major companies/deities that make up the infrastructure of the Internet and it's governance (i.e. Google, Yahoo etc).
•Create a child-friendly version of a world game simulator. For example, develop a simple video game about world resources. For example, Utilizing geodesic maps, connecting the world energy grid. It should generally embody the spirit of the world game simulation, similar to Critical Art Ensemble's video game which emulates 400 blows the film and teaches life through real life experiences. (Contact: Sean Talley, Orange Design, creators of a few Leap Frog titles).
Our current stage is infinite. At the moment, we run a collective house in the
last ungentrified neighborhood of San Francisco. Most evenings are spent in a dialectical argument about utopia, Bucky, the history of subversion and contemporary sustainability practices. Our home is a pop dialectic library of nearly 2000 books and a bastion of musical instruments. We host a myriad of visitors, including international travelers and displaced Buddhist monks. All visitors live in dome tents on our roof, and in the process create a temporary autonomous zone. In this place we have created a society of free artists/human beings with the purpose of transgressing perceived social boundaries. This is where we are currently. If we are recognized by the Bucky Fuller Institute, the following will commence within three years:
For the first year, we will focus on the store front/ Bucky bookstore. We would like to pay for at least one year's rent up front. The bulk of this first year will be spent allocating book, DVD and film titles, bringing them into the store, hiring and training a small staff, administering payroll and inventory accounts, and promoting the store's existence at a local and regional level. We are hoping to sustain the store financially through publishing royalties paid on Buckminster Fuller's published work, as well as sales from books, DVDs, lecture attendance, film screenings and dome building kits.
For the second year, we move into Phase 2. Phase 2 implements the community programs. By partnering with organizations like Root Division, we will administer youth education. We will teach dome building, Suzuki methods of learning music, and take children on nature walks through SF Botanical Gardens. We will incorporate all holistic approaches to learning, in effect, revolutionizing the model of American education. By the middle of Phase 2, we start to implement education programs for junior-high age youth, such as computer programming and renewable energy internships at local South San Francisco companies.
By the third year, known as Phase 3, we implement the "Let's Play a World Game Simulation 2012." We start out with college-age youth, hosting teach-ins at various colleges in and around the Bay Area. Once a rapport is established, we will produce the most current World Game Simulation, "Let's Play a World Game Simulation 2012," at UC Berkeley and Santa Cruz College. We will invite various leaders from the open-source Internet movement (Google), as well as faculty, students, select citizens, independent programmers, and select artists.
After completion of the "Let's Play a World Game 2012" at the college level, we will create a distilled version for younger children, in the form of a video game, that is easy to comprehend and fun to play.
* Comprehensive — This is a solution that works on multiple levels, not only will our solution be an immediate advantage to the youth of San Francisco, but once established our model will be available to be used in cities around the country and world. This fact further demonstrates the proposal's ability to be replicated.
* Anticipatory — This project at its very core is an anticipatory action which informs and empowers the youth generation for a world that is becoming increasingly difficult to survive in.
* Ecologically responsible- Not only are we preparing the youth with computer skills, but also teaching an important and often forgotten message of respect and appreciation for the environment. With programs like Permaculture Now! We hope to reassure children that local gardens can be a perfect solution to rising food prices in an uncertain world.
* Feasible — This project's beauty is in its simplicity and feasibility. With a few dedicated members this project has the ability to make an impactful difference on large amounts of children's lives. This information will spread like a fire once children and those surrounding them learn the principles of Bucky, and how simple and important it is to have a garden.
* Verifiable — This program's test will be only on those who choose to be involved with it. This a commitment we are willing and excited to make. This is essential immediately if we continue on the current consumption rate we will all be in dire trouble.
Play Play Play is an SF-based art and community outreach collective intent on furthering holistic ideals to the masses. We first met through working at an alternative fuels algae farm in Kona Hawaii at Nehal. After working as lab techs for a very important final project we left with our savings in opposite directions to see and travel and escape the world. One year later Play Play Play inc has grown and re-grounded to do the most with the least. Our location, coupled with our extensive network of designers, progressive thinkers, artists and leaders enables us to mobilize this initiative. It takes a village, right? We also, as a group, have a combined 25 years of community outreach, education and event production experience. But most importantly, we are not too experienced. We do not hold onto outdated systems or ways of doing things. We literally are the youth. The eldest member of our collective is only 28 years old; the youngest is 23. This enables us to truly relate to the youth culture in a dynamic and fundamental way. We are the cool cute rebellion. We are passionate about bringing a total knowledge of Buckminster Fuller to everyone, from young children to world leaders.
This is our 3 year plan, but we hope to move much faster thou time and space we are trimtab 2.0